Disclaimer

Posts or comments made by the characters on this blog do not necessarily represent the opinions of Lantern Hollow Press or its authors, and may directly contradict all decorum and good sense.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Greetings, lower forms of life!

I am what your people apparently call a squabbit. No, squabbits cannot talk. Nor can we hold one of your pencils—you humans and your blasted thumbs. But I have been around this universe long enough to know how to type. You people really should make the keys bigger. I see Megan pounding away on this ancient thing for hours a day some times, and I do not know how she can hit these ridiculous keys. Of course, I would hazard to propose that having longer fingers would help.

Allow me to introduce myself: On this planet I am called Reep. I generally take whatever name the local inhabitants give me when I arrive on-world, and when I came to yours I was lucky enough to land almost in my new worldjumper’s lap and she herself named me. That kept things simple. I have been watching her since then, trying to make sure she does not get into too much trouble. No, she does not know that I am sentient. Yes, she thinks I’m a cute little cuddly pet. I have moved past my furry form. You should too. If you mention it again or even hint to her something different I will be forced to port you into the chewy center of a mournian stink plant.

You humans really should take good care of your thumbs. I find that many peoples take them for granted. We squabbits know how to appreciate such things. After all, I can port to the other side of a parallel time, but I cannot open the door on the other side of this room.

Must be off. She just turned over in bed and that usually occurs just prior to a bathroom venture. I canot risk her seeing me near the…what do people on this world call it…yes, the “computer.”

Carry on!

Reep

7 comments:

  1. I love thumbs. Really, they are amazing. I feel that they are most appreciated when you realize what life is like without them. I once woke up and my hands were definitely lacking thumbs. Actually, my hands were lacking...hands. No, they weren't chopped off. My hands had just turned into, well, probably something similar to your paws, Reep. Not that we have squabbits where I'm from. I think they were cat paws or something. It took me an hour to get my dear thumbs back. I am really impressed that you can manage so well without them. I was a wreck. As my not so friendly companion Alec put it, I was even more useless than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...what's a squabbit and can I have one? I like to play with animals...at least I think that is what you are. I am confused. What is this world jumping stuff are there more living worlds than my living world and does the woods between the worlds get me there and is it scary and does White go there too and why haven't I seen your kind before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mikaela: Ah! It is a pleasure to speak with someone who has a proper appreciation of the finer things in life--like thumbs. I have some across shapeshifters in my travels, but that is not a skill I have ever acquired. It might be worth it if...well, I suppose a squabbit would look strange with thumbs anyway.

    Violet: I do have to admit I am curious--you walk, you talk, you think, you type...so how do you know you are dead? I would be careful in those woods. Some worlds' portals can be dangerous. Who is White? Will he be posting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thumbs are good for holding weapons and very fine rocks, but pointer fingers are important, too. Nobbley very greatly misses me powerful pointer finger from me right -- no maybe left -- no, right -- Argh! Nobbley has no time for stupid rights and lefts, made to trick! They switches, they does!

    It was a very fine finger, a mighty and muscled finger feared by all, and Nobbley misses it. With that finger alone, Nobbley once slew twenty dragons and a host of fearsome blandenshnarges. Alas, me finger died bravely. Nobbley was but a youth, a very fine, strong, fearsome youth with big muscles all over me body, but me finger shamed me mighty body when it fell at the hand of the dreadful foe. Nobbley never liked saws after that, indeed me did not. Saws are tricky, most tricky and deceitful, not like good, honest rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I'm hijacking this post, nobody move!
    Hehehe...I saw it in a movie...
    But no, really, I am.
    I just did the COOLEST thing...I burnt down a school, the flames went SO HIGH!!! And all the kids were all 'Yay, Yay, no more school!!'
    It was in the Empire of Corvist so they deserved it anyway...and ok...maybe the kids where more like 'Awauggh, no, it burns, it burns!!' but that didn't go on for too long so its ok.
    I just had to tell everyone about it, the flames shot up in the air like 200 feet...ok, fine, Olef says it was more like 20 feet, maybe thirty, but it was still awesome!
    And there was something in the school because there was all this crackling and popping and then stuff started EXPLODING!!! I think the Corvist military was keeping some kind of...um...right, experimental weaponry underneath it because stuff went flying EVERYWHERE and I've never seen anything explode like THAT except one of my explosion spells and I didn't cast any explosion spells.
    I left the rest of the village alone though, they only cut down a couple of my trees and the school was what they built so...that was the only thing that really needed to go...it would have been fun to torch the rest of the village though...and make all the birds go insane and attack people...
    Ok, we're off again, I'll tell you what happens next time I get on here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why am I not surprised. I'd prefer to hear more from the squabbit. Though not by much.

    ReplyDelete