Disclaimer

Posts or comments made by the characters on this blog do not necessarily represent the opinions of Lantern Hollow Press or its authors, and may directly contradict all decorum and good sense.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Artmusiaphobia

You know, ever since I came to live at Waverly Hall and found the Tower of Worlds, I’ve never been able to go to a museum and feel comfortable. Not all museums, I suppose. Bones don’t bother me and the dinosaurs are uber wicked awesome. Even the creepy mannequins are alright. I’ve seen plenty freakier things, though I do have to admit that some of the ones that look like they’re staring at you are just plain weird. I can even handle sculptures, if that’s all there is. Sometimes I keep expecting Aslan to come and breathe on things, but that would be worth hanging around to see.

I guess you have to know that every world’s collection of portals looks different for this to make sense. In Relois it was a cave of crystals. In the othertime/space I think C. S. Lewis heard about and put into the Magician’s Nephew, it was a forest of pools. I went to one world where it was an empty city. On earth we have a freaking huge tower with walls covered in landscape pictures, and each one leads to some world, time, or space somewhere. (Its scary that I can say things like that, and they actually make sense to me!)

So, anyway, it’s the art museums that mess me up now! Rows and rows of pictures. I know they aren’t like the ones in the tower, but I still can’t get rid of the feeling like they’re watching me or something. Like every one of them could be a portal to some world somewhere or a window onto some person. I don’t think I want to meet some of them, personally.

And I SURE can’t imagine what kind of nutty world I might find at the other end of some of those screwy abstract paintings. What were those people on when they painted those things anyway?

TTYL,
Meg

6 comments:

  1. I don't know what an Art Museum is but the paintings and some of the tapestries in my house do watch me. They follow me too, and sometimes they eat visitors. I try to discourage that but sometimes I invite over people I don't like just to feed the decor. I would invite my mother over but all the pictures are afraid of her...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, well.
    Meg I know what your talking about, and museums can be strange places, especially when so much of your own history appears in them. Not that anyone would realize it but, I've contributed my fair share to the exhibits, not always intentionally.
    There was one knife, my favorite knife actually (the first one I ever made), that I had thought lost at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. Until two hundred years later I see it in an exhibit in the British Museum, mistaken for part of a shipwreck that someone had dredged up.
    I decided to leave it there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I've been told (often enough to make me wonder if people are of the very unjust opinion that I'm something of a coward) that I need to face my fears or else they'll just keep following me around. So maybe what you need to do, Meg, is head over to one of those art museums and start confronting those creepy paintings head on.

    Or, I suppose you could take a page out of Crugg's disturbing book and bring someone along you don't like and dare THEM to touch a painting first... but I feel like if you find some nice, peaceful, happy looking landscapes filled with trees and lakes and little villages filled with frolicking lambs and children and start touching them, maybe you can get over the whole art phobia thing.

    Actually, I take that last part back. The little villages are usually not nearly as friendly as they look. Avoid the villages. And the frolicking children. Oh, and the forests. Definitely the forests.

    Okay, maybe confronting your fears isn't a great idea after all. Maybe a strategic retreat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mikaela: Hmmm...may be. What about that Thomas Kincade guy? I don't know about the whole glowing puddles of water thing, but its hard to imagine anything too evil lurking inside one of those.

    Then again, I don't remember seeing INSIDE any of those happy little cottages. Maybe there's a society of mad, kitten eating warlocks armed with some of those green eyed pitchforks or something. Maybe they're summoning sporks....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I'll ever be able to go into a warm, inviting, beautifully lit little cottage ever again...

    Or look at sheep quite the same, but I feel like I can deal with that.

    ReplyDelete