Disclaimer

Posts or comments made by the characters on this blog do not necessarily represent the opinions of Lantern Hollow Press or its authors, and may directly contradict all decorum and good sense.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dying to be Normal

What can I say…my life was never normal. Orphans dream of normal, but that is something that they don’t get to have—their parents being dead and all. I always thought my parents were crazy to name me Beatrix, but they did not ask me. Not that they would had they lived long enough to see my first birthday. Sorry, I think I might be sounding bitter. I am not bitter; it is just a fact of my life. And for anyone to understand me, they have to know this fundamental fact—I have never had a family or a place that I called home since I can remember. This changed when I met Mr. White, on my sixteenth birthday. (It was pretty much the best and strangest day of my life). White (which is the only name he has ever given me or anyone) is my godfather, though I don’t think he really wants to be, but the idea could grow on him. My godfather has a rather unique occupation—He is Death and I now live in the House of the Dead with all the souls waiting to cross over the Styx. OK that last statement is not entirely true. I live in the House of the Dead but it is not completely full of dead people. Nora and Hyrum live there as well as Bast, Othinn, Poly, Martin, Emmit and my dear friend Grimm. They work for or with or are Death—I am not sure of the logistics of how immortals and Death really work.

Anyway, the dead mostly stay to themselves…well except Violet. She has or is having difficulty coming to terms with her deaths. She has adopted me or something like that. She thinks that I came from the Living solely to be her nanny. I suppose in the grand scheme of things I don’t mind being her nanny. I mean it is really fun to tease her; she is really touchy about being dead. And her company is not entirely boring. She keeps things interesting. Violet is a permanent fixture in the House of the Dead, sort of like a rug that no one likes but no one can get rid of because it was a gift from the favorite Aunt or something. I am not well versed in the protocol for gifts and such but Nora the Housekeeper explained Violet that way and I sort of liked it.

Anyway, I recently found out that I am the wrong goddaughter or the wrong Beatrix Wynn (Apparently, there was more than one of us with a fairly bad name.) The Fates messed up my fate and her fate…well the other Beatrix is lost. The Fates lost her and I have to find her because the worlds are unraveling…

6 comments:

  1. Wow Bea, your life sounds as interesting as mine! What you said about the worlds unraveling makes sense, to me at least. I've seen it happen. Do you know what world your other Beatrix is in? I don't know if I could help, but I can try.

    I also sorta know what you mean about being an orphan. I haven't seen my family since they dropped me here at Waverly Hall. I'm starting to get worried....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand how you must be feeling, Beatrix. I, too, got landed with a fate before I was even born. Sometimes I wish there were another Flavia Shanahan, and that this were all some sort of mistake that could be corrected, but I am not so fortunate. It's rather frightening to have so much depending on me, and so many people wanted to harm/kill/use me as well.

    It seems like these things always happen to girls, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beatrix, I don't understand this whole "worlds unraveling" stuff you're talking about, but your life sounds pretty good to me.

    Have you fully considered the possibilities of having Death as a godfather? If you found some way to steal his power, or to control him, you'd be a powerful sorceress indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm, maybe the fates messed up MY life and made me a Ghost (not the dead kind like Violet) instead of a happy, clueless villager living her happy, clueless life... I wonder how often the fates mess up. I wonder if we can all go and confront them together and maybe take over their job and fix everything.

    Hey, we can dream, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, the fates did not mess up...you are supposed to be my nanny! Stop being so mean!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg, the other Beatrix is in the same world that I am...well the same world that I come from...the Fates just lost her...or something.

    Flavia, I am not sure if it always happens to girls, but it does seem to happen to us more often.

    Isaac, I am not sure Death's power is something that can be taken and I am not even sure I want to.

    Mikaela, yeah...the fates have me worried.

    Violet, did you get permission from Grimm to be on the computer?

    ReplyDelete