Disclaimer

Posts or comments made by the characters on this blog do not necessarily represent the opinions of Lantern Hollow Press or its authors, and may directly contradict all decorum and good sense.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Reality...Or Not...

Chris Phillips here. Still have no clue where in the heck I am...I mean, it's a hospital...I think. That, and the fact that there are some really bizarre (and somewhat creepy) people here makes me think I'm in a psych ward.

Speaking of weirdos, there's this one dude that thinks he's going to be a teacher. If I were hiring, this guy would get nowhere near anyone under the age of 30. He's just that sludgy. Makes me shudder just thinking about him.

A lady three doors down from my room thinks she's Mary, the mother of Jesus, and that she's going home soon...to Heaven. She believes all the rest of us are unholy heathens who are keeping her away from where she wants to be and that we're in need her pity and prayers. I'd have to agree with her about the staff, though. They wouldn't be smiling so broadly if they weren't being payed so much.

The other day, I met a guy down the hall who has something he keeps close to his chest. Literally, close to his chest. His hands clutch something, and he's constantly checking on it. (I'm just waiting for him to call it his "precioussss" or something.) But, other than that, he's pretty cool and rather bright. He speaks in complete sentences and everything (which is a rarity around here, it seems). Maybe one day he'll show me what he has.

There are several other freaks around here, but I feel completely normal...except for seeing things that aren't there and hearing voices. The voices keep calling my name. They want my help, but I can't figure out what they want me to do. I guess it doesn't really matter because they don't really exist anyway. The things I see look mostly cartoonish. Creatures that aren't real (like the pumpkin-headed fellow who is so sad, or the cute little fuzzy things kind of like chipmunks). Sometimes the walls "breathe" or the carpet turns into a swirling mass of miscellaneous shapes. Other than that, though...I truly do feel normal.

7 comments:

  1. It seems to me that if you know the things you see and hear aren't real, you're off to a good start. It's when they ARE real that you start having problems. And just make SURE that you aren't dream walking or something. I mean, if you make something real in a dream then it can actually hurt you for real. Just a word of advice. But it sounds like you're just dealing with nice, safe, harmless hallucinations.

    Another word of caution: I'm pretty sure that most of the people around here are going to give you sketchy advice (I'm thinking about Crugg and Isaac specifically) on what to do with the voices in your head. Don't Listen To Them.

    Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, do you belong to a magical race? Some, such as the Gleann-Sidhe, experience symptoms such as yours when they have a vision that wishes to visit them. Have you tried filling a cauldron with rosewater and summoning the vision? This could cure your troubles. Although, some visions can be quite troubling . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be too certain that things aren't real. In my experience, truth is much, much stranger than fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with frog-boy. There's some weird stuff out there. I've learned enough to want to make sure that the pumpkin headed guy isn't going to grab me when I'm not looking....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get the feeling we're not helping Chris very much...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll keep the whole "it might actually be real" thing in mind...it could be that Im seeing something that no one else can see. It certainly seems like it sometimes. One time I saw a huge black dog or wolf, and what followed was not pretty. Someone once told me that a large black dog could be a sign of death. It was in the case I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or it could be that everyone else can see the things your seeing and they're just pretending not to so that they can make you THINK your crazy...That would be mean of them though so you shouldn't feel bad about breaking out and taking all your crazy friends with because...since they're trying to make you go crazy...they obviously did the same thing to all of them too. You should lead a revolt and break everyone out of that place and then burn it down because fire is fun.

    ReplyDelete