Disclaimer

Posts or comments made by the characters on this blog do not necessarily represent the opinions of Lantern Hollow Press or its authors, and may directly contradict all decorum and good sense.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

It's Not Paranoia If The World Really Is Chasing You With Pitchforks

My name is Mikaela. I’m nineteen, and not too long ago, I got run out of my own village for talking to a horse. I accidentally did magic, and apparently that means I’m an evil bringer of doom and deserving of execution by pitchfork. So me and my horse Pride ran away and I found out that I’m a Ghost - not the dead kind, but the magic kind (though I have this feeling that there’s a strong chance that I’ll end up the dead kind as well). And now I apparently have to make a choice.

See, there are these four different magical creatures that used to roam this world back in The Golden Age (every world had one, it seems, but we’re never actually living in it) wielding their magic and being generally awesome and terrifying. They killed each other off in true magical creature fashion, but their magic stuck around, began to attach itself to humans (for lack of anyone better, I guess), and four new kinds of magic users emerged. They took on the names of the four original magical creatures and formed the four Holds: the Fae, Phoenix, Centaur, and Shifter Holds. They each have super special abilities and each one is, of course, the best. Or so they each tell me.

I found all this out a few weeks ago now, at about the same time I found out that I was one of the lucky few humans called Ghosts who are able to join any one of the four Holds and become very powerful. So they all want me. So they’re all chasing me. I don’t think I’m paranoid when I say that pretty much the whole world is out to get me.

Then I met Alec, who’s a Shifter, and Tevrin, a little kid who’s a Ghost, and a prodigy, at that. Alec is part of some big cooperative effort to bring peace and harmony amongst the Holds (sweet, right?) to keep them from repeating their ancestors’ mistake and killing each other off again; and they think that Tev is somehow the key to all this.

I’m just along for the ride. You’d think that if Tev was the one they all wanted, they’d leave me alone, but oh no. I guess they figure that since I’m here, they might as well harass and chase and bother and threaten me too until I finally pick one - or get killed. I like to think that I can avoid becoming a crazy magical killer, but I’m not seeing any other options. At this point, staying alive is all I can handle.

7 comments:

  1. I think I'm missing something here. First of all I'm still weirded out by this scroll some guy gave me that has words appearing on it over night. But what I really want to know is how all of you people got your magic. I had to study for years, make a contract with Mizukaze and then study even more before I could do much of anything. How in the world do you people just 'have magic', I have to admit I'm kind of jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, I haven't been spending much time on this board lately but I have to agree with the freak with the scroll. It took me a lifetime to gather enough knowledge to bind my soul and raise myself. All this "I was born with magical powers and I don't know what to do" is for babies. Grow up little girl and realize that killing people is for the good of the world. Some people just have to die...and the ones attacking you are some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you know what? It's people like you that destroy each other "for the good of the world" and then where are we? Just because I "have magic" doesn't mean I know how to use it. That does take training, apparently. I just don't want to. And don't tell me that's stupid. Using magic is so much more trouble than it's worth in this world. And it seems to be the occupation of crazy people, so count me totally not interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that comment about destroying each other wasn't directed at me. I don't particularly want to destroy anyone. I'll fight the people I'm paid to fight, I mean it's good money and a guys got to make a living. Anyway it's what Hisoka wants to do and it's not like I have any better ideas.
    Anyway, as to your problem, and I hope you don't take offense at this, but it doesn't seem like you really have much choice about learning how to use you magic. I mean right now the choices are pretty much learn or die right? Well then unless you're particularly eager to see what lies beyond then I guess you better get cracken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...Mikaela...pitchforks? Really? I thought that only happened in horror movies. Well I must say, you do have some rotten luck. Do you think we could tag team and take on the FATES? I mean they are the ones that are screwing up the worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although the gentlemen are a bit crass in stating their opinions, they are right about one thing, Mikaela: you do need to learn to use your powers. I admit, mine filled me with horror at first, too. Nevertheless, I eventually realized that I had been given them for a reason. There is always a reason for things, just not necessarily a pleasant reason. It is up to us to make the most of our respective situations. On the bright side, my powers are wonderful for making Edric's life miserable. And, it is rather comforting to know that I have at least a chance of defending myself should Edric and I be found by the wrong people (such as his father).

    ReplyDelete
  7. One question: Aren't pitchforks used only for farm-work? I have never before heard of them being used as weapons. It seems rather . . . barbaric.

    ReplyDelete