Disclaimer

Posts or comments made by the characters on this blog do not necessarily represent the opinions of Lantern Hollow Press or its authors, and may directly contradict all decorum and good sense.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Waverly Hall

Well, I guess if I’m going to be blogging about my life here, I had better say something about Waverly Hall itself, and maybe tell you how I got stranded here. This has got to be one of the weirdest houses on the freaking planet. Yeah, well, since so far as I know it’s the only place on this freaking planet where you can get to other freaking planets that would make sense.

Waverly Hall is here in Georgia outside a tiny town called Tiger, which is near a slightly larger town called Clayton, which is near…nothing in particular. Mountains, I suppose. It’s a nice place, but don’t go looking for a mall or cell phone reception. I think that maybe if I stood on top of the tallest tower, held my phone over my head, stood on tip toe, and got struck by lightning, I might get one bar.

This place is gigantic. If you tried to go from one end to the other, you might want to pack a lunch, and I can’t tell that anyone has set foot in most of it for a VERY long time. You can tell how long it's been because the carpet in those parts has been “let go,” according to the Davidsons, and is in places knee-deep. I’ve since learned to stay away from those parts of the house. You can’t always tell when things are coming.

The picture here is of a place I think Mrs. Davidson weedwhacked recently. It's nice and short.

Towers, yes, that's something. How many houses do you know that have towers in them? Not too many I would bet. Waverly Hall has three or four, depending on the day and if the fourth tower is feeling frisky enough to let you find it. (Oh, you can always see it from the outside, but the inside likes to move around to different parts of the house.) The Hall was one of those places that was built to look like a castle, but since I don't think you could keep anything out of this place if you tried, I guess they didn’t think they would have to actually defend it from anyone other than perhaps a horde of angry grandmothers (all the stairways without railings would get them…they might also be eaten by the carpet).

It’s the central tower, the biggest, that really is different. It has the Gallery of Worlds, and has gotten me into a whole lot of trouble. More about that later, though.

TTYL,
Meg

5 comments:

  1. Why Megan dear, thank you so much for telling me the exact location of this Waverly Hall...or close enough. I'll have to be sure to pay these Davidson's a visit sometime in the near future. After I find this amulet at any rate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are towers uncommon in your country, Meg? They are not a common sight in the more rural countryside of Glemaria, but they are seen frequently in cities or on some of the large manors. Laurelwyck Manor, the ancestral home of my father's side of the family, had a tower once, a great many years ago. It was destroyed during one of the Wars of Insurrection.

    On another matter, with this Finnias about, I think it may be wise to refrain from giving too many details about your location. He does not seem to have your best interests (or, indeed, anyone's) in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flavia: Thanks for the concern, but if he can even find Tiger, he'll almost not deserve to be eaten by the carpet. Almost.

    I think this place reacts to you based on how much of a threat you are. Bigger threats make worse reactions. I think that Waverly Hall will take care of itself, and as long as it does, I'll be fine.

    And no , we don't have many towers in our part of the world. Other parts have plenty of them, though. I think its just that they weren't that useful any more by the time we came here. Now, they mostly just look cool....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eaten...by the carpet... Is EVERYthing out to get us? I mean, come ON!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you interested in selling that man-eating carpet, by any chance? I could pay a good price.

    ReplyDelete