Disclaimer

Posts or comments made by the characters on this blog do not necessarily represent the opinions of Lantern Hollow Press or its authors, and may directly contradict all decorum and good sense.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

A More Accurate Introduction

Edric is currently a bit . . . em, "entangled," so I'll be posting today. It's only fair, really, since he usurped my turn for posting last time, just out of sheer male vindictiveness.

Edric's unflattering depiction of me was far from accurate, so I'd like to introduce myself more properly. My full name is Princess Flavia Eloise Kathan Shanahan de Laurivoix. It's quite a nuisance having to write it all out, (legal forms are a nightmare!) so in this forum I would prefer to just be known as Flavia. After all, I'm only a princess by marriage, and certainly not by choice.

As you have already gathered, I have certain inexplicable powers, which I've struggled to gain mastery over since I was a child. I believe the full story of how I came to have these powers is recorded in a book or some such volume, so I won't trouble with telling the full story of it here. Anyhow, I first became aware of these powers during the oft-mentioned "frog and fountain" incident. Regardless of what Edric says, I found my powers frightening at the time. I'm used to them now, though they still surprise me.

I can do many things that others can't: pick up and move objects without touching them, charm and tame enchanted creatures, heal people with my tears . . . all quite useful talents, really. Incantations, however, are another matter. I am really quite dreadful at incantations. I always seem to do some part of them incorrectly, or jumble the words a bit, and then odd things happen instead of what was supposed to take place. For example, one night I attempted an incantation that was supposed to make Edric's teeth grow about sixteen inches. It would have been highly amusing had it worked properly. Unfortunately, something went terribly wrong, and I accidentally turned his pillow into an odd fanged creature that began attacking him. In my defense, I did rescue Edric . . . eventually.

I suppose it must seem odd to many of you that Edric and I are married, considering our mutual loathing. That matter is entirely Edric's fault. I was one of four potential brides for him, and he chose me. He claims that he was selflessly putting the needs of our country ahead of his own wishes, but I suspect he just wanted to ruin my life. At the moment we're on the run together, owing to a disagreement between Edric and his father, King Haden. As a result, Edric and I have been spending a lot of time alone together. I don't think it's been healthy for either of us.

Well, Edric seems to be having trouble breaking free from the strangling grasp of the Malevolentium Creophagous (more commonly known as snapping hyacinths). It's been enjoyable letting him battle them on his own, but I probably ought to go help him now. I did, after all, push him in there, almost accidentally.

8 comments:

  1. Flavia, you sound like a woman after my own heart. What would you say to some quality time together torturing your husband before I turn him into a pile of ash?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flavia: I like you, I really do, but if I ever get married, I really hope my marriage isn't as interesting as yours. At least not that way.

    Finnias: Haven't you heard that there's a blog for people like you, where you can do you whole "I'm going to take over the world and be evil" thing and not bother anyone? Go away. Now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not agree with you more, Fiery. All this time together is most definitely not good for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So how do you like your new profile picture, Edric dear?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan Dear, considering that you posted you own inane comments in the very forum you mentioned you do not have a leg, nor even a foot, on which to stand.

    Falvia, my offer is open anytime you feel inclined to take me up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edric, another man is making advance toward me. Aren't you going to defend my honor, or whatever it is that husbands are supposed to do? After all, this whole marriage thing was all YOUR idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, personally I'd love to let him have you. But, the needs of Glemaria come first. So, grit your teeth, Flavia, we're shackled for life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this a tremor of delight I feel rising within me? No, it's nausea.

    ReplyDelete