Disclaimer

Posts or comments made by the characters on this blog do not necessarily represent the opinions of Lantern Hollow Press or its authors, and may directly contradict all decorum and good sense.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Half-Faerie Uncle Seeking Advice

So I finally arrived in the States and reached my sister’s house to be greeted by my charming, young niece, Danni.


Of course, her way of greeting me was to nearly break my knee. I suppose it was every so slightly my fault for getting there at an unusual hour of the night and setting off all the alarms, but I still feel as though I have been abused to an unnecessary degree.


It was not even my fault that I was late. I got a flight in to Dulles Airport that arrived at the timely hour of eight o’clock in the evening. That gave me just a forty minute drive to reach Amanda’s and Geoff’s house and be welcomed by my niece with open arms (or an efficiently executed round-kick. It really can go either way with her). Was I to blame that I received a call from a very distressed acquaintance of mine, begging me to help her hide a newly arrived friend from… out of town? Waaaay out of town?


I’m not here to facilitate refugees. That’s not my intent. I have rather larger issues to deal with. But I am also a bleeding heart for the suffering runaways of other worlds, apparently, because I said, Yes, and went on my merry way nearly an hour in the opposite direction from my niece’s house.


After helping Ms. X and her friend with the new IDs and a temporary bank account, passports, and tickets to an undisclosed location, I promptly turned around and headed back toward my original destination.

The darling girl forgot to turn of the blasted faerie alarms, so now I have a headache as well as jet lag and a sore knee. But I do have a sandwich, and what a sandwich it is…


I forgot. I was going to ask for advice. Well, here it is. My niece is a savvy child and she doesn’t let much get past her. If I am going to be involved in slightly less than legal dealings with a slightly other than natural clientele, how am I supposed to keep Danni from finding out? The girl is only sixteen, but she sees everything.


Teenagers are very inconvenient.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I think the thing to do is to go ahead and give up on hiding anything from her, but PRETEND that you think you've hidden it ALL from her. You know she's going to find out anyway, but if you let her think you think you have her fooled, she'll pretend like you do. In order to do that, she'll have to pretend like she doesn't know about what you're doing so she won't say anything, because she'll want to keep you fooled into thinking she's fooled. So you'll have her fooled by not really being fooled by her fooling about being fooled....

    What in the world am I talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as if there is going to be trouble when Danni finds out... and you seem pretty certain that she WILL find out.

    You'd better get her to share your sympathetic mindset about refugees before that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you should just tell her the truth. Children are able to bear tremendous burdens surprisingly well. After all, I learned about my own "burdens" when I was but six years old. It was difficult, but I managed to come to terms with it all.

    ReplyDelete