Disclaimer

Posts or comments made by the characters on this blog do not necessarily represent the opinions of Lantern Hollow Press or its authors, and may directly contradict all decorum and good sense.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

How I Ended Up Here

If you'd asked me a couple of years ago if I envisioned myself raising my baby sister and living with my grandmother, I'd have thought you were crazy. But that was before the accident. I had ideas about what I was going to do with my life while our parents were still alive, but afterward, I ended up as a security contractor.

I’d been shooting, mostly handguns, since I was twelve. Grandpa had been a policeman, and he kept up his skills even after retirement, mostly for pleasure, and partly because it’s always a shame to lose a hard-earned skill. He took me to the range one day, and I loved it. I loved the perfect precision of the old .38 revolver, the concentration it took to send a projectile smaller than my thumb downrange to hit a target the size of my palm. I liked the fact that when I was shooting, that was all I could concentrate on. The sight picture, slowly breathing in, out, and taking up slack in the trigger until the round flew away to hit precisely where I was aiming. I was good at it. I kept practicing regularly after Grandpa died.

After the accident, I found some of my grandfather’s old cop friends, and they recommended me for work and provided me with references. At first, it was small jobs. Take a shift guarding a building under construction. Somebody’s sister is having trouble with her ex. Walk her home. Keep some troublemakers away from a bar. I could have signed up with a larger company, but I preferred working by myself. I think that way I could convince myself that this was just temporary- not a career. I was just moonlighting until I could go to school. And I got enough jobs. I was professional, polite, passed background checks and had a license to carry concealed. After a few years, I gave up waiting for the day when I’d have enough money to go to school full time, and I started taking online classes.

And then I met the Fae. But that's another story.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like your life took an unexpected turn, I suppose that is the way things are. We can never lose our regrets, I hope you've taken the time to learn from it...that was my mistake...I ran.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a decent upbringing, in its own way. My biological parents died when I was twelve and they didn't do much good for me besides demonstrating why transworld marriages are ridiculously complicated. My adoptive parents gave me the martial training of a Transworld Sentinel/Channel Guardian/Insert Obnoxiously Long Name For Hunter Here, not that I ever really have cause to use it. Computer software marketing is not a business generally fraught with terrifying, death-wielding ninjas. Although, there was this one time...

    ReplyDelete