Disclaimer

Posts or comments made by the characters on this blog do not necessarily represent the opinions of Lantern Hollow Press or its authors, and may directly contradict all decorum and good sense.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Stuck

It has been nearly two days of muddy travel. I should have know better than to set out in the midst of the rains, but...my departure was timely. Four times I became stuck fast in the mud, disgusting stuff, my robes are filthy and I must look quite disheveled. In fact I have taken note of several patrons of this very inn who have not taken their eyes off of me since I sat down. To think that rain and mud would so lengthen my journey. I should have been in Guangai early this morning, instead I will not arrive until tomorrow after the noon meal at the earliest.

I suppose I should have anticipated this, certainly a few of the sutras have helped me on my way, the magic of the god-king Abin-Thul is a powerful thing. Nonetheless I do not wish to be held up by such a...insignificant thing as rain. I suppose there is no help for it, I shall spend my night here and start out again in the morning, perhaps the road will be dryer tomorrow. At least my food is hot as is my jiu, and I have a bed for the night. I spent last night in some peasants bed...it was filled with bugs.

I cannot wait to reach Guangai where my real journey will begin. I wonder what the Saru eat...I wonder if they drink jiu...I may order another bottle before I leave.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, travel in the rain is horribly unpleasant. Among those who travel often in the rainier places of my world is a technique of inscribing Runes of Spreading Water along the circumference of the wheels of the carriage or wagon- the rims will not sink into the muck when treated this way. I wonder if there is a similar method among your people? It is uncommon due to the significant cost involved, but effective. On foot there is little to do, unfortunately- the surface area required for such a rune does not lend it to the soles of shoes, and if done so there would be no traction.

    What sort of magic does your god impart on you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was riding, but after the first day my horse took lame, one of his hooves had taken rot, so I'm walking now.
    The Fa De Huo has been of help, both in strengthening my legs for the march and in drying some of the worst of the mud.

    ReplyDelete